Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Babs' Five Favorite Reads of All-time (so far)

The beautiful thing about favorite reads is that they do not have to be anything but that; they don't have to be best-sellers or classics or award winners. Just favorites

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott - I received this as a gift, in beautiful hard copy, the Christmas after I turned 10. I love this book! It's lost its dust jacket along the way, but I still have the same copy, from my Aunt Ruth in 1983.

Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell - I wanted to be Scarlett O'Hara when I was growing up. And I always thought Vivien Leigh and my Aunt Kim shared a resemblance, so I thought it could be in the family. ;-)

Inferno by Dante Alighieri - An utterly, fascinating, amazing read. When I was a child, I dreamed of reading it in the original Italian, on the opposite page from the English in my copy.

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand - Yeah for Howard Roark! Introduced me to the objectivist philosophy - happiness as moral purpose - being the facet I liked the most. ;-)

Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes - Hilarious and idealistic - "One man, scorned and covered with scars still strove with his last ounce of courage to reach the unreachable stars; and the world was better for this." One of my favorite quotes of all time, and seriously, brings a tear to my eye every time I read it.

No comments: