Monday, December 31, 2007

Recent Purchases and Gifts

Hi all,
I am not sure that I will remember everything I purchased and received, but here goes:

Purchases
The Daring Book for Girls (gift for my niece)

The Dangerous Book for Boys (gift for my nephew and for the boys in my house)

Thunderstruck by Erik Larson (gift for my father-in-law)

That Book of Perfectly Useless Information by Michell Symons (gift for my husband Craig)

I am America (and So Can You!) by Stephen Colbert (gift for Craig)

Sun Tzu was a Sissy & What Would Machiavelli Do (each by Stanley Bing) gifts for Craig

The Political Brain: The Role of Emotion in Deciding the Fate of the Nation by Drew Westen (gift for Craig)

Misunderestimated and Overunderappreciated: The George W. Bush Administration as Seen Through the Eyes of the Tribunes' Syndicated Editorial Cartoonists (this was also a gift for Craig, and for my brother-in-law and my father-in-law -- needless to say this is not a family of bush supporters)

Philip Pullman's Dark Materials trilogy (The Golden Compass, The Sublte Knife and The Amber Spyglass) for me

Cruddy by Linda Barry

1001 Books You Must Read Before you Die (a gift for me)
  • NOTE: sad to say, I went through the entire list and have only read 67 of them -- maybe I need to be more selective in my reading!!!! Although I have to say that the list is a little suspect in my mind because the greatest book of all time in my estimation (Atlas Shrugged) did not make the list. In fact nothing written by Ayn Rand made the list....neither did Pillars of the Earth....

Received as Gifts

Rachael Ray Anytime Cookbook

Deceptively Delicious cookbook (by Jessican Seinfeld)

Four Spirits by Sena Jeter Naslund

The Whisper of the River by Ferrol Sams

When All the World Was Young by Ferrol Sams

  • NOTE to Babs: these two Ferrol Sams books are the second and third in a trilogy that starts with Run with the Horsemen (which was the Atlanta Reads book club selection a few years back) -- I know how you like serial books!!!!

Gods in Alabama by Joshilyn Jackson

The Garden Angel by Mindy Friddle

The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold

Bridge of Sighs by Richard Russo

Rhett Butler's People by Donald McCaig

World Without End by Ken Follett

1 comment:

Babs said...

I completely agree that if there is nothing by Ayn Rand in the 1001 list then it is suspect. That is jsut bizarre. I may have to look at this book. I wonder if it is the same type of book as 1001 Places to See Before You Die.